Are You In Need of a Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney?
Have you recently been involved in a motor vehicle accident that was not your fault? You may need the services of a specialized motor vehicle accident attorney to help you lay a claim for the ensuing damage – whether medical, personal or potential income. Although vehicle insurance may pay for some damages, there are usually extraneous expenses that no victim of an accident should be responsible for.
Conversely, perhaps you’ve even been accused of being liable for a car accident and require clarity on the legislation governing this matter. Accidents happen, and sometimes we may be unfairly prosecuted for something that was entirely beyond our control. This is why it is essential to engage the services of a qualified motor vehicle accident attorney who can help you stave off unnecessary claims.
Sadly, motor vehicle accidents are commonplace in South Africa and almost every citizen will be involved in an incident in some way or another. Whether it is a minor fender bender or a major collision, motor vehicle accidents almost always have grave financial consequences.
Fortunately for South Africa, our legislation recognizes that motor vehicle accidents may cause financial and emotional hardships and therefore it created the Road Accident Fund.
This fund, known as the RAF, is funded by a portion of our fuel levies and allows individuals who have been in an accident that was not their fault to claim for medical expenses, as well as a loss of income resulting from the accident.
However, there are limits to these claims and it is always best to consult a personal injury attorney who specialises in motor vehicle accidents and RAF claims. We can help you find the right attorney to assist you.
What to do in an Accident
- Never leave the scene of an accident. Instead, pull over safely and proceed as detailed below.
- Always report the incident by calling the police in the case of injuries, death or a state vehicle is involved. If the accident is minor, you may agree with the other party to move on and report the incident at a police station
- Remember your rights when you are asked for a verbal statement. You always have the right to decline a statement until you have spoken to a motor vehicle accident attorney
- Make sure you record all relevant details including registration number, names, ID, the names of witnesses and the extent of the damage. Take photos if you are physically able to do so and if you find yourself injured you are within your rights to request that a police officer does it for you.
- Also take note of weather conditions, traffic and your surroundings. This could be vital in proving your side of the argument
- Avoid ingesting anything for your nerves until a police officer gives you the all clear to do so. This may interfere with any potential medical examinations requested after the accident
- Avoid making offers to pay for damages or saying things such as “I didn’t see you”. These statements may make it sound as though you are admitting guilt and could be used against you in a future claim
Our service can help you find a motor vehicle accident attorney who not only provides expert advice but also understands the emotional toll that being in a motor vehicle accident can have. Instead of focusing solely on the facts, our attorneys will assess the situation with empathy and deep regard for the pain that may arise from worrying about medical bills, or temporarily being without adequate transport. Let us assist you in filing a claim for compensation in the case of a motor vehicle accident.
We are also able to assist you if a claim has been lodged against you by helping you determine liability, and defending you in a court of law.